So this is the first of the planned pre-gens for Furry Road, my Gen Con "secret game" and an homage of sorts to After the Bomb one of the first RPGs of my youth. My design notes will be included to discuss things like how I represent character traits and any excursions from the standard Cypher System Rulebook basics, this includes Descriptors and Foci from outside of the CSR.
|Image Source: Palladium's After The Bomb, 2nd Edition|
My intent with Cornelius was a team leader of sorts. A planner and enabler who helped make other people better. Unlike the "face" Cornelius's Speaker abilities would be geared toward aid over working people. Since chimpanzees are primates this character would be the one requiring the least effort for "animal traits" mainly just something to represent the opposable digits on his feet, for this I decided to simply replace a single skill purchase with an ability that would grant an asset when the character could use his feet for a task like climbing, holding, or the like. I also selected climbing and balancing to help round out that ability.
**Note: The Resourceful Descriptor is from Numenera Character Options 2
Cornelius the Chimpanzee is a Resourceful Speaker who Would Rather Be Reading
Tier 3 • Effort 3
Might 15 • Edge 1
Speed 12 • Edge 0
Intellect 22 • Edge 2
Cypher Limit: 3
Armor: 1 (light armor; tough clothing)
- tasks to notice danger around you
- Tasks that involves learning something new
- Opposable Feet: You gain an asset when in situations where you can benefit from using your feet to hold onto things, such as climbing, picking up objects from below you, and the like. Your feet are strong enough to support your weight if given proper purchase.
- Practiced With Light & Medium Weapons
- Applying Your Knowledge
- Speed Recovery
- Expert Cypher Use
- Discerning Mind
- Flex Skill
Equipment: You have a bag of light tools. Appropriate clothing, nightvision goggles, binoculars, repaired tablet computer, flashlight, duct tape, backpack, package of 20 zip ties.
- Bowie knife (light weapon)
- .38 Special (light weapon)
Initial Link to the Adventure: The Calivada Road Patrol (CRP) approached you to ask you to the mission, because of how resourceful you are. Though you prefer to stay at HQ with your books and maps, you know that the team will need your help and leadership.
- You think that Zhan the Cat is ignorant and uneducated. You have yet to decide if she can be taught more civilized ways.
- You've worked with Max the Dog before. One time you were both involved in a crash that you know he still feels guilty about.