Monday, April 18, 2016

Story Seed - Visitant

Image Source: http://tohad.deviantart.com/art/Summer-on-Ganymede-496335859

The snow crunched beneath my feet as I made my way up the hill. The entire countryside was shrouded in white, pure and unblemished. The storm had passed as quickly as it had come on and only a lucky find, a small cave beneath a rocky outcropping, had spared me its intensity. My breath puffed out in clouds of white steam that quickly dissipated in the crisp and bitter cold. Though the storm had passed its aftereffects would be with me like an albatross around my neck.

I shivered despite my exertion, even my parka and insulated pants could not keep the heat draining cold at bay. I soldiered on, knowing that the best thing to do would be to keep moving. Up and up I pushed myself, at times scrambling in the snow on all fours to keep my footing. The rise began to level off at last and I was able to stand again, my hands nearly numb in my gloves. I activated the internal heaters, the energy quickly warming my hands.

At last I reached the top of the rise. My environment suit's battery was reading just under fifty percent and I was hopeful that I would see sign of a settlement nearby, somewhere I could get fully warmed up and recharge its power capacitors. Instead I saw one of them.

It reminded me of the Egyptian pyramids, but I suppose the human brain couldn't help but to draw those similarities. It too was a triangular faced structure, but in truth the similarity ended there. Balanced on one point the object seemed impossible given its vast size. And yet there it sat, balanced and unperturbed, yet another of the alien devices.  I wondered, not for the first time, how many of these there were, and if they were doing anything, of if they were simply waiting for some unknown sign or signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment