Monday, March 21, 2016

Story Seed - The Hunt

Image Source: http://dawnpu.deviantart.com/art/Txmp-454362420

It was a terrible day.

I crouched silently, listening and looking with all of my attention. My knees wanted to complain but I just wouldn't let them; this wasn't the time or the place. I felt a bead of sweat run down the back of my neck before soaking into my shirt collar. The oppressive heat seemed that much worse for my predicament.

I cursed the scientists who'd come up with this idea. Honestly, who could have thought that this would not end poorly. Chamelosaurus was going to be the death of me, I felt certain of that, and I was just hoping that if I was right it would be quick and painless. The alternative was a lot less appealing.

I adjusted my grip on the assault shotgun, trying to somehow make it feel less of a half measure. Of course a bazooka wouldn't help track a cold blooded dino in a hundred degree jungle so I guess half measures were all I had. There was a scream, bloodcurdling and final and my HUD showed me that Philips' life signs had just cut out. That put the beast some fifty yards to my west. I carefully changed my facing and used the chance to get into a slightly more comfortable position.

I wondered if the creature was smart enough to see the trap we'd laid. I shuddered involuntarily at that thought; this thing was already far too scary without it being whip smart to boot. More silence except for the buzzing of insects and the whisper of wind through the jungle foliage.

The crack of a twig behind me almost made me jump out of my skin. I spun, bringing the gun up, knowing that the friendly fire interlock would prevent me from shooting anybody on the team. Instead as I squeezed the trigger the fully automatic 12 gage started to bellow like some kind of monster of its own. The shimmering thing that was hurtling toward me started to bloom crimson blood.

I woke up to the sterile smell of a hospital. I wasn't dead. Turns out it was a good day after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment