Saturday, August 20, 2016

RPGaDay 2016 - Day 20

Source: http://www.brigadecon.org/rpgaday2016/

August 20 - What is the most challenging but rewarding system have you learned?

For me it was Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition. I don't play M&M much anymore, but that's more a reflection of my tastes and that of those I play with than a commentary on the game. M&M was challenging because it was my first stab at a d20 System based game after having played years of Palladium and White Wolf games, and it is a very crunchy and mechanically heavy game of building powers from effects and modifiers. In the end though it showed me that when you strip away all of the trappings and set dressing that a lot of things in RPGs really boil down to a small number of core mechanics and modifiers. This also exposed to me the fact that many systems can do a lot more than people may realize if you are simply willing to do some lite re-skinning to change the trappings.

No comments:

Post a Comment